Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

Poster Inspiration for a Graphic Style Card

Pinterest has a lot to answer for. It's just too deliciously tempting. I try not to venture on it very often because I know I'll be sucked in, clicking on hundreds of beautiful designs and websites. I really can spend hour upon hour, tapping on photos, completely unaware of my surroundings.

I normally save these clips to my account in Evernote. Okay, it's a bit more of a faff but I like my inspiration all in one place, so I'm not having to hunt it down.

Anyway, it was on one of these forays into Pinterest that I came across Swiss Ted. There are numerous poster designs on the website, all of which can be used to inspire card projects. Like this one for example.


And when I say inspire...well in this case, I actually should say copy.


I hardly changed anything in the design. Then again, it was an experiment at first. I wasn't intending to make a completed card. I was just curious to see if I could easily imitate the overlapping circles effect, using dies.

As you can see, I could. I used one of the Spellbinders nested circle dies to cut out five circles in different colours. I then placed the die over one of the circles to trim away a section. I made a couple of marks on the die with a pencil to show where to line it up next time. I then cut through all the circles, using the pencil marks as a guide.

It was then simply a case of piecing it all together and fixing them down. By this time, I thought, why not stamp a sentiment and have it as a card, rather than an experiment to file away.

However, as I started to clear my desk away, I noticed all the offcuts lying there. I'd seen stacked cut-out designs on other people's cards and had thought about trying it myself one day. Well, now seemed as good a time as any. So with my leftovers came this...



It's not perfect but it was useful in working out how to piece a card like this together. And, just like with Pinterest, the time just flew right by.

Thanks for dropping by, my lovelies and for all the wonderful comments you have been leaving recently. :)

_____________________________________________

Supplies

Stamps: Hero Arts - Thanks Sentiments

Dies: Spellbinders - Circles, Die-Namics - Staggered Hearts, Cheery Lynn - Love Set 2

10 comments:

alexa said...

That' some very niftÅ· work with the dies. Paul - and I do like the 'leftovers' one especially! Those slivers of moon look great in monochrome.

Marjolein said...

Strong graphic design, love the effect of the overlapping circles.
Well your second card made me thing of James Bond! The front layer is such a beautiful colour!!
The red sentiment really pops up!
The way you used these leftover bits, clever and it when you look at this card it sort of implies a movement...(sorry for my Dunglish, but I think you what I'm trying to say here.) :-)
Thanks for sharing.
Bye,

Marjolein

~amy~ said...

WOW...love them both! awesome inspiration!

Gabby said...

Great case of the poster design, Paul! Love it in the colors you chose. :)

Susanne Vargas said...

Both cards are fabulous and totally cool! Love the graphic style, the shades of grey, and the texture of the paper!

Susanne Vargas said...

Also love your new blog header!

Tenia Nelson said...

These cards ROCK!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

love this!!! ah, pinterest, yes I cannot venture there or I would not be able to get any crafting done!!

Cath Wilson said...

Absolutely love the effects on these - brilliant stuff!

Michele said...

I bet it took some patience to put together the overlapping circles card - but well worth it, it's fab! X