Pages

Friday 15 April 2011

Playing with A New Ribbon


It's Play Date Cafe Challenge time again. This week's colours are soothing and calm in mood. White, caramel & green. Two neutrals accented with green, a colour linked closely to creativity and tranquility.

And continuing with my latest interest in the modern vintage style, I cobbled together a Birthday card. The decorative border is a Martha Stewart punch, the ornate dies are Spellbinders and the papers are from my scraps folders and I think they're K&Co. The sentiment is my own design on the computer and printed out. Hmm I'm beginning to realise that I haven't used a lot of stamping in my creative projects recently. That's very neglectful! I must make a mental note to dig out the rubber and ink for next time.

Mind you, I'll forgive myself for not using stamps this time, as instead I got to play with a material which is new to me. It's from The Ribbon Box called Mesh Ribbon and I picked it up at a recent craft event at the NEC. I was a little tentative about using it and making a wasteful hash but in fact it's incredibly easy to fashion into a rather neat bow. And after this first attempt, I'm definitely hooked. You can pull, twist and shape it to your will and it holds its shape beautifully. I'll certainly be adding more to my stash.

In other news, I'm feeling a tremor of excitement as I've just booked train tickets to London for a weekend in May. So having lapped up the culture of the North recently, I can now go on the internet and turn my attention to the South. Plus, there's always a trip to the V&A. I hardly ever go to London without dropping in for an hour or two to marvel at the exhibits. Also, it's a great place to sit and relax with a sketchbook. Right, off to do some surfing.

9 comments:

Michele said...

Gorgeous card, Paul - the ribbon looks fab! You've solved a problem for me too... I bought the fancy labels Nesties that you've used, but wasn't sure what to put in the centre - now I know, I didn't think to use the tiny Nesties from other sets doh! x

alexa said...

That mesh ribbon looks wonderful - I love the delicate see-through layering effect and the fact that it is easy to tie is a bonus! Very professionally produced!

Andrea Ewen said...

Wow, Paul...this card is beautiful! That mesh ribbon is so marvelously eye-catching and the border punch is such a wonderful effect! Love the stitching and that home-made sentiment. All of your details coordinate perfectly! Lovely indeed!

Anne Jagger said...

Beautiful card Paul, I love all the elements and that ribbon is gorgeous. Ooo love London and I always like to go to the V and A too. X

Tracey said...

A real beauty Paul!! LOVE your "modern vintage"...I have been searching for a name for my vintage attempts, and I think that is it!!! LOL! Thanks. I so NEED to find me some of that mesh ribbon...it looks so cool!! THanks for joining us again at The Play Date Cafe :)

Maria said...

Oh what a lovely card, Paul! Great use of the colors! Beautiful die that you used and fabulous ribbon! I would love some of that ribbon in my stash...take care!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Okay, you've got me, Paul. I'm absolutely loving this card! Sometimes when I really love a card I see, no words come to mind to express it. It's more of a "sigh". I sighed on this one! Thanks for joining us at The Cafe. :)

Neet said...

Lovely entry to PDC as always Paul.
Think I will talk to "him indoors" about us having a weekend in London - you have whetted my appetite.
Hugs,Neet x

Jaclyn Miller said...

This is so elegant and beautiful! I just love how you've used those colors - I think this is one of my faves of yours. Good to see you in the Cafe as always.