Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

Now This Is The Kind of Card I Love to Make

With my attention being directed towards my style of late, I've been scribbling out answers to questions I've been set and filling a smash book full of cuttings plus notes, all in the hope of pinning it down. I'm not fully resolved to it yet and I wonder if I'll always be a creative butterfly flitting from one style to another. But I think my answers are beginning to sink in.

I sat down at my desk and decided on a whim to create a card, without over-thinking the whole process and you know what, I've finished up with a design that I love. I think I will always gravitate towards graphic, whether I shabby it up or keep it clean.




I began by staring at a Spellbinders die of a gate, which I recently purchased but yet hadn't used. It's beautifully ornate. However, I was stumped as to how to incorporate it into a card. A quick snoop on Google threw up the idea of using two of the shapes and creating a fancy, stylish frame from them.

I glued them together & mounted onto the background with foam pads. I die cut out a red label and then a silhouette cameo. I also die cut a small scalloped circle and cut it into quarters and adhered these in place as corner mounts. Finally I created a border using Rangers's Liquid Pearls (Onyx Pearl - my current favourite). All the papers are from Graphic 45's French Country collection.

Now I need to think of more ways to incorporate the gate into paper crafts.


7 comments:

Lindsay Mason said...

Yes, that card is definitely "you" Paul! I'd have had to be scruffing up the silhouette a bit, or making some of the gate posts wonky! It's an amazing die and I can only imagine how long it took you to pick all the bits out! Very stylish, elegant and clever. Lindsay x x

Andrea Ewen said...

Love it! You've discovered a very clever way to incorporate the gate!And for subsequent cards it doesn't necessarily have to represent a gate (though on this one, it's ideal)...It could just be a flourish that peeks out from behind a focal point, exactly like you did here. I've also cut up intricate dies like that to get different designs and even used just a corner of it poking out for a bit of interest. On your card here it looks fabulous...the composition of the whole thing is perfect, well-balanced and very pleasing to the eye!

Fab said...

Super gorge, Paul, love the style of it, brilliant creation ! xoxo

Justie said...

Very nice like the design Paul.

alexa said...

Again, so stylish especially with this colourway. It never occurred to me the might be a die of a gate! It is indeed most detailed ...

pearshapedcrafting said...

Didn't see the gate till you mentioned it! How lovely this card is-real style! Chrisx

Neet said...

Ingenious! But then that is you Paul, we never know what to expect seeing on your blog - you are a man of many talents - and we love you for it.
Great card, great idea - hope you don't mind if I take it on board.
Love
Neet xx