Pages

Sunday 13 December 2015

Mixing it up for a Challenge



It's been a while since I posted. Well, no point really. I haven't really made anything worth posting about. Yes, I've been dabbling, playing, drawing, splashing paint around. But I've not actually finished and produced anything. 

So to ease my way back into "proper" paper crafting, I logged onto CASE This Sketch to see what the latest challenge was. Turns out, it looks something like this...


and I had absolutely no idea where to begin. I had zilch in the ideas department. Tumbleweed in my brain.

So I took some card and a rubber roller and merrily applied acrylic paint with it. I scraped some lines with a texture tool and left to dry. And that was it. I was up and on it. Ideas aplenty. You see my left brain has read about and seen in practice from experience many times, that being creative is not about feeling motivated first then taking action. I have to take action first, no matter how crap I feel and wham, bam, my right brain sparks off - the motivation appears.

I took an ink splat stamp from MFT and applied archival ink. I die cut a heart from a scrap made in the last couple of posts. Finally I used my label machine to produce a sentiment. 

So this card technically falls into the category of mixed media. But I hope I've also kept the CAS aesthetic enough to prove acceptable. Tough tits if it doesn't. I like it. Plus I had fun putting it all together lol. So much so, I'm looking forward to doing it again




9 comments:

kjjc said...

yes i like this. very masculine yet romantic.

Nicky Moore said...

Love that colour combo! I totally agree with you about taking action first. I'm not creating anything 'finished' at present but making collage papers to work with over the festive period (family avoidance activity!!!) and once I get going I can't stop! I've never experimented as much as I have over the last few weeks and the only downside is I keep going to bed at midnight as I can't stop. Great to see you blogging again...post your sketches and experiments! Not everything has to or ever will be 'finished'...xxx

wienerhoneymooners said...

LOVELY Paul!

Michele said...

Fab card, Paul - perfect combination of arty and clean and simple x

Leigh Penner said...

This is so cool! I love the background (thanks for explaining how you made it!) Fabulous take on the sketch!

Unknown said...

Hahahaha! This has got plenty of attitude; the card and the blog post. You're so right about motivation and ideas coming after action. I forget that sometimes.

Neet said...

Love your CAS card Paul, and the background looks really interesting, so glad it inspired you. Think I will go CAS in the new year and every time I think of doing that I think of those cards we made at your last workshop at vicky Stamper. Love them.
EEK! See you later.
Can't wait.
Hugs, Neet xx

alexa said...

I've really enjoyed not just looking at your lovely and striking card but tucking away your wisdom about just doing something and then something else will happen :).

Seth said...

What a great card. Mixed media alright! Great color combo and really digging that splat/splash under the heart!