Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2016

Take Three Things Challenge


There's a new blog in town, the Creative Carte Blanche and they hold a monthly challenge. I missed out on their first but I like the idea behind the latest. To use three elements which, they state, normally don't go together. These are, corrugated card, lace and metal. 

Now that's the kind of challenge I can dig my teeth into. Making art work, when it shouldn't.

I took a white die cut tag, and added blue Colour Burst from Ken Oliver.  I added more blue with a selection of distress inks and blending tool. The flower was made by die cutting the flower pieces from corrugated card and colouring with acrylic paint. I took a selection of Seth Apter's stamps and added to the flower pieces with black Archival ink.

I attached the metal tassels to the flower and glued the whole thing to my tag. I spritzed a piece of lace with Dylusions spray and once dry, glued to the bottom. I added the label and dotted a line of black Nuvo Crystal Drops to finish it off.

And yes, I know my blog has taken a quieter turn recently. The reason being is that I have been quietly creative and playing with all sorts of mixed media stash. And because I'm mucking about and trying out new ideas and techniques which I'm rusty with, the results have been...well...how can I put it...not "blog-worthy". There's a vast chasm of difference between the ideas in my head and the finished pieces.

However, they are all valuable, in that I'm learning more each time. The endless cursing and bad language heard from my craft room is not in vain.

Time will come, when I produce something which I'll be pleased to photograph and share lol. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun just messing about :D





13 comments:

kjjc said...

Nice to see you produce something you deem valuable. Im sure other things you have created are too. this is lovely. so good toes you do something messy.

Ardyth said...

This is definitely blog-worthy (and I suspect you're too hard on your other work....) Love all the texture and the clever way your sentiment works with the shakeable elements!

Cheryl Grigsby said...

This is so cool, Paul! I absolutely love your take on this adventure. I also love your approach to the challenge, to embrace the challenge and let it guide your creativity. SO glad you've joined us and hope we see much more from you!

alexa said...

I really like this - such a great colour combination. Those little tassels are a very neat addition. Good to hear you are creatively busy ...

Seth said...

Endless cursing....LOL! Love how your combined such disparate elements into one cohesive piece. Thanks for adding my stamps into the mix.

Neet said...

Love blue and its complimentary, orange, and this is so strong a use of those two colours. Very eye-catching and bold - like the sound of this challenge myself.
Hugs, Neet

Unknown said...

Don't be too quiet because this make is SPLENDID. What a SUPER take on the challenge Paul. j.

Candy C said...

Hey Paul! You are our first guy to join us and I love that! I also LOVE your project! The colors are vibrant and wonderful! I love how you mixed the corrugated flower with the lace trim at the bottom and the wonderful little metal tassels hanging from the flower petals! Very cool indeed! Love your interpretation! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Creative Carte Blanche! <3

Rea' said...

looks like a fun challenge... this is amazing !

Susan said...

Hi Paul - Your tag is absolutely blog worthy! What a great idea to create a corrugated flower! The paint and Seth's wonderful stamps are just gorgeous! Great job! I so hope to see more of your wonderful work in the future!

SewPaperPaint said...

Fabulous flower and colors. I can just imagine the sweet sound of these chains shaking! Great concept.

Yvonne said...

Hi Paul! So excited to have you join us! Your tag is beautiful...love the rich color. Thank you for joining in and playing along with us at Creative Carte Blanche!

Linda Ledbetter said...

You know, my own craft room has been known to echo its fair share of "colorful" words, so I feel ya! That said, this tag is THE BOMB! You OWNED this challenge, and created such a cool, clever work of art. Shake it, indeed! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche-- hope we see you again!