Pages

Saturday 25 September 2010

From Kitchen to Card



Over at The Play Date Cafe this week, the colours have been taken from a beautifully lit photograph of someone's kitchen. Now personally, if an interior designer had come to my house and slapped lime green over my kitchen walls, I'd demand my money back before sacking them. But not everyone's tastes are the same.

Julie suggests over on the challenge that she's convinced there are no bad colour combinations. I don't entirely agree but I see where she's coming from. Yes you can pick any mix of colours out of a bag and make them work together. However, there are certain combinations that work fantastically together and you would rate them as looking better than others. For me, Analogous and Split Complementary schemes sit so much easier on the eye than just any random three colours would. In short, I think there are good schemes and there are excellent schemes. It's probably down to personal taste as to whether any bad schemes exist. So I do agree a little.

For instance, in this week's scheme, blue and grey (or silver) combine brilliantly together. Both are cool colours. The green and the blue sit okay against each other, there is contrast but I would add a red-orange as an accent (i.e. a triadic colour scheme) and remove the grey. Or keep the dark blue and grey and add perhaps a light blue or violet. Actually if this was my kitchen, I'd have made the walls white.

Anyhoo, that's my two-penneth on the subject. Back to the card. Well what can I say? I punched, I stamped and I glued.So here's the supplies list...

Paper/Card: Grey (Bazzill Basics), Blue (K&Co) and Green (Cosmo Cricket)
Stamps: Flower (Inkadinkadoo), Sentiment (Papertrey Ink)
Punches: Edge Border (Fiskars), Trellis (EK Success) Plain & Scalloped Circles (Woodware)
Other: Ribbon

21 comments:

Maria said...

Lovely bday card...pretty flower and paper!

Dotpat said...

Paul it has come out great. I would not mind the green walls if someone gave me a kitchen like that

Sarah Anderson said...

Great papers, and interesting take on the whole colour combo :) Thanks for playing along, and joining in the whole 'are there any colours that don't go' discussion

Michele said...

Lovely card, Paul! I love the colour combination this week - I might even be tempted to join in if I can get my act together. x

Anne Jagger said...

Well the colours work beautifully on your card Paul.

Andrea Ewen said...

I agree with your two-penneth completely. Wonderful observations and I think your right on. And I love the fact that you'd rough up the decorator...that's classic. Thanks for joining us this week at the Play Date Cafe, your card is awesome and your perspective is awesomer.

Nigel said...

You're spot on about certain colour combinations being 'not quite right', but you've managed to combine them brilliantly :)

Lisa Somerville said...

Wonderful use of this weeks colors, great design. I have to say I'm with you on the Green Walls, I would have made them white too! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

Pat said...

Paul, that card turned out so nice. I am with Dotpat, I would take the kitchen (then I would change the colors! haha)

You did such a nice job with that color combo. I can see where the green was a hard one to work with.
Graet job.
Pat

Tasha said...

Such a beautiful card, i love the pattern on the blue DP
love tasha xx

Neet said...

Love how you use your punches Paul. Another beautiful card from the master of MS.

scrapperjulia said...

Well, I agree that this wouldn't be my kitchen! I love how you used the colors on your card, you made them look very beautiful together!

Sarah A said...

These ccolours work much better on your card than in my kitchen, I too would demand my money back ;-)

Sarah

alexa said...

Lovely card - and I am agreeing with you about the white walls!

Suzanne C said...

Lovely use of the colors, Paul. I love the color combo but probably would use the white walls and added the green as a splash. :) Glad to see you playing along with us again.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OH Paul---this is a great great card! I love your border punch and papers:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on color combos:) Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe:)

Carol Q said...

love the way you've put this together. it appeals to the neat and tidy part of my mind.

Ruby said...

Loved reading your thoughts on the colour story this week! Your card is fab, I love the papers you've used. Glad you could join in with us again at the PDCC this week!

Smita said...

Lovely card, Paul.

Smita said...

Wish I could tell you where to get those flowers.. I live in India and I just bought them by chance ;-)

Julie Ranae said...

Bringing up the rear in commenting this week : ) Been away for an extended birthday....this is a fab card and a great design.
xx